Job opening: Reproductive Health Attorney for LA Office
Reproductive Health Staff Attorney – NHeLP Los Angeles Office
The Position: We are seeking a full time reproductive health staff attorney for the Los Angeles office. The attorney will manage NHeLP’s reproductive health data collection and analysis project. The ideal candidate will have experience working with social science researchers, and analyzing data, laws, regulations, and policies that impact reproductive health quality and access. The attorney will demonstrate strong leadership skills, experience working within communities of color, and an understanding of reproductive justice issues as they impact women of color and other marginalized populations.
SPECIFICALLY, the attorney will perform the following functions:
* Work collaboratively with NHeLP staff, researchers, and advocates to develop and implement systems to collect and analyze evidence-based data on reproductive health coverage and access.
* Develop analyses of laws and policies concerning reproductive health, rights, and justice; respond to requests for legal analysis from staff as well as external sources including policy makers, coalition partners, attorneys and advocates, media, and scholars.
* Draft legal and policy publications, including fact sheets, memoranda, and articles for journals and NHeLP publications.
* Proactively develop and implement legal strategies to advance reproductive health policies.
* Maintain and expand relationships with members of the media; represent NHeLP’s perspective to the press as appropriate.
* Support NHeLP fundraising efforts as needed.
* J.D. from an accredited to a state bar * Experience working with data and evidence-based research; MPH or other research related graduate degree is a plus * Project management experience * 2-4 years legal experience * Commitment to NHeLP’s mission and reproductive justice * Knowledge of health law, especially Medicaid and the ACA, preferred * Excellent speaking and writing abilities; the ability to talk about legal and other complex issues in clear, persuasive terms for non-lawyer audiences * Strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humor * A high level of independence and initiative, good judgment, creativity, and a willingness to work with others
COMMITMENT: Full-time, immediate
SALARY: Commensurate with experience; generous benefits
The National Health Law Program was established in 1969 as a national resource center on publicly funded health insurance programs and civil rights laws. With offices on both coasts, we manage a broad array of national, state, and local projects ranging from complex analyses of federal and state laws, class action litigation, and individualized technical support. We provide legal expertise to non-profit law offices and health organizations, as well as frame new legal theories and work with policy makers to implement programs grounded in the experience and needs of underserved people. NHeLP works on a day-to-day basis with other national and state advocacy and community-based organizations on strategy, analysis, litigation, and joint activities to address health access problems that imperil the ability of Americans, particularly low-income and underserved populations, to get the care they need.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume, and (very) brief writing sample.
Please specify in the subject line: Reproductive Health Attorney Position
3701 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 750
Los Angeles, CA 90010
NHeLP is committed to a diverse staff. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBT persons are encouraged to apply.
Susan Berke Fogel JD
Director, Reproductive Health
National Health Law Program
“Securing Health Rights for Those in Need”
NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. This message is intended only for the individual(s) named herein or other contacts of the National Health Law Program specifically authorized to receive this communication. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the message immediately. Please do not store, copy or otherwise disseminate or distribute this e-mail or any part of it.
Bixby mailing list